Friday, September 21, 2012

Meet a Counselor: Ashley Walton

Our Meet a Counselor blog feature profiles a Career Services career counseling intern each week. Our counselors come from across the state and country to work with students at Texas State!
 
Name: Ashley Walton

Hometown: Rochester, NH

Undergraduate Degree: BA in English Teaching from University of New Hampshire

Graduate Degree: MEd in Counselor Education from The University of Texas at Austin (currently pursuing)

  1. What made you want to pursue counseling and/or career counseling?
    After teaching high school for five years, I was exhausted and wanted to explore my career options. Although I enjoyed my time in the classroom, I really valued my one-on-one interactions with my students. This prompted me to look into counseling as a potential career change.
  2. In terms of career counseling here at Texas State, what are your focus areas?
    I’m still learning! I’m taking this time to purposefully not have a focus so I can explore different areas.
  3. What is your favorite type of music?
    I love classic rock. But a guilty pleasure would be pop--some songs are so catchy.
  4. What the best job you’ve had?
    I worked in a hospital as a messenger during high school. It was so interesting! I got to take specimens to the lab, bring patients to get x-rays and deliver medications.
  5. What is your favorite type of breakfast food?
    I’m a huge fan of a good cheese omelet and hash browns--with lots of ketchup, of course!
To set up an appointment with Ashley or another career counselor, call Career Services at 512.245.2645.

1 comment: