Thursday, February 10, 2011

Passions and Professions

By Chris Jones
Career Services at Texas State University   

 With the rise in unemployment and decrease in entry-level career opportunities, one may question, “How much should passion play into my career decisions?” In other words, should I sacrifice what I want to do and/or am good at, to take a paycheck?   In answering that question, here a few points to ponder:
1.      A better opportunity may be just a click/day away (e.g. the best job for you could be getting added to campus2careers as you are reading this)
2.      The only thing worse than being paid little to nothing to do what you love is to get paid anything do something you hate
3.      Your first employer out of college is rarely your last and so the first job is more directional in nature, pointing you toward a calling – your passion
Since most of us cannot hold out waiting for our calling to…well, come calling, below are three ways to get more passion out of any career. 
1.      Focus on the opportunities for development, learning, and growth.  I remember one student telling me how excited he was to land his ideal summer internship.  It was with the American Arbitration Association and he was going to participate in mediations.  Instead, he spent the first two weeks making photocopies and coffee.  When he came back to campus in the Fall I asked about his internship.  He said it was the best learning experience he had.  When he quit after two weeks because they were not giving him real work, he learned more about his character and himself than he ever hoped to know about mediation.
2.      Set realistic goals and expectations about your career and then expect them to change.  One very ambitious student asked me for career advice about ten years ago, early in my counseling days.  I asked him, “What is it you like to do most?”   He said helping people, but his goal was to make a million dollars before he was 30.  He is now 31 and has been working for a nonprofit for the past four years following his passion at the expense of his goal.   I recently bumped into him and asked if it was worth it.  He said “I would have paid a million dollars to enjoy my work this much.”
3.      Find a passion outside of the office.   This could be volunteering, joining a gym, learning a language, participating in community or religious activities.  A dear friend was miserable at the office so he got involved in a local nonprofit.  His passion showed and reflected positively on him.  So much so that another volunteer was so impressed, he offered him a job that more directly related to his passions.
As a college student or recent grad, you will inevitably be faced with the question of paycheck or passion.  And while this is an individual/personal choice, the overwhelming majority of professionals would choose to follow their passion.  I know I did and it is because of that I am writing this article today.    

No comments:

Post a Comment