Friday, November 11, 2011

Fall into the Job Search


I know it's been a while since I was an undergraduate, but every time I walk around on campus this time of the year I am reminded of how I felt as a student. Right after fall midterms, I was in this weird mix of emotion. I was elated at the progress of some classes, and just down right disgusted at others. That's right. I wrote down right!

Now that I am a professional, the approaching holidays bring other memories to mind - the job search. You may internally think that you should just focus on your studies so that you can make the grades that you need to make. You may feel too tired to launch a search right now. I encourage you not to put this off. If you have no idea where to start, there is one thing that I want you to do. Make an appointment with a career counselor. Just dial 512-245-2645 and say "I want to make an appointment to see a career counselor about my job search". Easy. Have some one hour times in mind, and you can just tell the counselor everything that concerns you regarding finding a job. It really doesn't matter what kind of job you are seeking. Talk to the counselor about full-time jobs, seasonal jobs, internships, part-time jobs and summer jobs. Just start the ball rolling. You will feel a lot better when you can say to any of your loved ones "I am meeting with a career counselor to help me with my search".

So, what if you have done that first step, and you are just not getting any responses in your job search? You could still meet with a counselor to discuss strategies. Amazingly, there are a number of behaviors that many do not contemplate in the search. For example, have you ever listened to yourself speak? No, really. We have all had the professors that we didn't like in class, just because it was hard to listen to that person lecture. Well, what do you sound like? No one wants to hire someone that sounds as flat as a dish towel (unless that is a job requirement). Does your tone sound desperate? You know how those people sound, too. They are the ones that you won't call back or the ones you won't give your phone number. It's hard to warm up to that person, right? If you visit a potential employer in person, what are you wearing?

Just asking for an application or inquiring about a job in person is part of the interview. I remember meeting a young man (with his mom) and helping him with his part-time job search a few years ago. He had visible piercings and tatoos. I explained how to use our database and he focused on one job that he really wanted. I gave him some tips and he and mom went on their way. A couple of weeks later, his mother called me because she noticed that there was an opening in our office. I explained that we have a dress code for our employees, and her son's look simply would not work in our office. A few days later, I did meet the young man again. His mom sent him to the office anyway. This time, there were no piercings, and he wore khaki pants! Imagine what I might have thought when I met him the first time if he had been dressed that way. Do not understimate the power of a good first impression.
To conclude, we know it can be challenging to find work, but our staff wants to help. Why not draft us to your team this fall? Don't put it off.

1 comment:

  1. I was seeking this particular information for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.
    job articles online

    ReplyDelete