Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Am Graduating… Now What?


By Haley Way
Career Counselor, Texas State University Career Services

I remember the last semester of my senior year—one month before graduation to be exact—sitting in my apartment, dazed and confused about the job search process. Thinking:  Where do I even begin?
Let me clarify a few things from the previous statement.  First, by dazed and confused, I mean desperate and crying.  Also, I wasn’t alone in this endeavor/cry-fest, I was accompanied by my roommate and fellow Psych major.  Certainly, my fellow sobber did make me feel a bit better at first.  However, I soon realized we might not be much help to one another in the job hunt.  All this one month before graduation.  I mention the timeframe again because, at the time, I thought it was sufficient time to find my dream job, with dream pay, at a dream location (more on how these goals take time, later).
 See any resemblance as you start your job search?  I hope that’s not the case.  But I offer up this story because, though I am now a Career Counselor with Texas State, I’m not even going to pretend like I had it all figured out when I graduated.  What I can do is offer some suggestions during this time in your life, and steer you to the free—yes, free—career counseling and job search resources we have here at Career Services.  You may think you are the only one who does not have it figured out.  But I can assure you many people are in your shoes:  Nervous, scared, confused, or just feeling “behind.”  There is hope.  The job search process is just that—a process.  It that takes time, energy, and will power, but can be very rewarding.
Tip #1 - Know Yourself - What are your strengths, the values you want in your life, personality characteristics, interests, weaknesses, and, most of all, your goals for the future?  If you don’t know yourself, how can the company with whom you’re interviewing even begin to know you?
Suggested Resources:  Set up a career counseling appointment by calling 512-245-2645.  Read books like:  What Color is Your Parachute? or I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was. Take online quizzes to find out more about yourself.  In particular, try FOCUS 2, our new interactive career exploration site: http://www.careerservices.txstate.edu/Students/Career_Exploration/focus2.html

Tip # 2 - Practice a Targeted Job Search - Many people are open to “whatever” job title or company comes their way, in “whatever” city or state that happens to be.  Taking a “whatever” attitude yields endless possibilities, and actually spreads the job-seeker’s time and efforts thin.  One result are very generic job search materials (resume, cover letter, and application).  However, companies do not want generalized applications.  They want resumes that are relevant and tailored to the position they are seeking to fill.  Applying for a job, unlike what many people think, is not a numbers game, that the more jobs you apply for, the better.  It is more about quality applications for jobs that actually interest you.  Therefore, focus your efforts toward a few carefully selected job titles or companies and then invest the time to tailor your application materials (for example, making your resume fit the job posting).
Suggested Resource:  Read the book, Can I Wear my Nose Ring to the Interview?
Tip #3 - Commit - Be willing to make a commitment to the job search.  Finding a job is now your new full- or part-time job.  This means dedicating  a set amount of hours each week to research jobs and companies, compile applications, and send out tailored resumes and cover letters.  Make that corner of your office/room/library into your new Job Search Central.  Set hours for yourself, as well as manageable goals (for example:  I plan on applying to 3 positions this week).  Dedicate and focus your energy, but also time and space for mental breaks, for rejuvenation and relaxation.
Suggested Resource:  Use the job search progress log (in Excel) on our website to keep track of the positions you’ve applied for.   http://www.careerservices.txstate.edu/Students/Job_Searching-Career_Prep.html
Tip #4 - Network and Connect – The word “Networking” sometimes evokes a bad connotation, so let’s think of it more as “connecting with the people you know.”  Or those people you want to know.  You can connect with everyone:  Professors, friends, family, family friends, your friend’s family, professional organizations, church, sports clubs… the list goes on and on.  The truth is that it is a small world after all.  And you need everyone in your world to know two things:
 #1 You are looking for a job, preferably in (your chosen) field, and,
#2 You are hoping to meet anyone they know who might be helpful.
Connecting with others can happen face-to-face or online or in many ways.  In particular, you should join LinkedIn, a professional networking site utilized by many recruiters and possibly your own potential employer!
Suggested Resources:  LinkedIn, www.LinkedIn.com  Also be prepared to sell yourself.  Check out this online handout called Elevator Speech http://www.careerservices.txstate.edu/Students/Handouts.html

1 comment:

  1. I'm liking your site closely follows a very nice thank you very much exchange of information

    ReplyDelete