Thursday, October 4, 2012

Meet a Counselor: Joanne Wang

Our Meet a Counselor blog feature profiles a Career Services career counseling intern each week. Our counselors come from across the state and country to work with students at Texas State!
 
Name: Joanne Wang 

Hometown: Austin, TX

Undergraduate Degree: International Business - University of Texas at Dalls (UTD)

Graduate Degree: Student Affairs in Higher Education - Texas State University-San Marcos (currently pursuing)






  1. What made you want to pursue counseling and/or career counseling?
    I enjoy working with individuals in one-on-one settings, and I benefitted a lot from my academic and study abroad advisors as an undergraduate. I wanted an opportunity to work with students one-on-one but in a setting that explores more than just academic concerns.
  2. In terms of career counseling here at Texas State, what are your focus areas?
    I don’t have an expressed focus area in career counseling, but I try to listen for concerns that students have about exploring different majors and future career paths, and any anxieties they may have attached to those concerns. While many people will change majors or careers several times in their lives, there is a greater desire to “get it right the first time”, and many students put tremendous pressure on themselves in making that choice, or feel anxious or bad about themselves if they want to or have to change.

    I also like to help clients gain confidence in themselves by exploring how they can translate their experiences and skills into strengths to put on their resume. Simply wording or framing something differently can have a great impact. I love it when clients realize “Hey, you’re right…I did do that”, or “I didn’t think about it that way”; I can immediately notice their boost in confidence by recognizing, sometimes for the first time, their own accomplishments.
  3. What is your favorite type of music?
    I like all types of music…I used to listen to metal all the time, but now I also listen to Korean dance/pop when I exercise, classical when I’m at work, Disney music when I need to unwind, hip-hop/rap when I’m tired of classical at work…You name it--anything but country.
  4. What is your favorite sweet treat?
    I’m not into sweets (unlike most people I know) but I do really like (unsalted, unsweetened) almond butter. The freshly-ground kind is the best!
  5. What was your favorite TV show as a kid? I liked Japanese cartoons growing up, and I liked Sailor Moon when I was really young. I also liked Animaniacs and the Batman cartoons from the 1990’s.
To set up an appointment with Joanne or another career counselor, call Career Services at 512.245.2645.

No comments:

Post a Comment